MOTIVATIONAL INTERVIEWING: INTERMEDIATE
Date: Monday 28th & Tuesday 29th January 2019
Location: Swalec Stadium, Cardiff, Wales
Trainer: Stephen Rollnick (PhD)
This workshop will be of interest to people in diverse settings & circumstances where conversations about change are an everyday reality. It will include a basic overview of motivational interviewing (MI) and then turn to intermediate level practice and discussions. It will include:
- Overview of MI and its foundations in good practice in organisations, services, teams and educational settings.
- Review of key topics like core skills, change language and the four processes in change conversations (engage, focus, evoke and plan).
- Opportunity to practice skills
- Exploring of “hot topics” including:
- MI-consistent advice-giving
- Culture change in organisations
- Brief conversations about change and how our emotional state affects the progress and outcome of conversations
Bespoke MI training
Motivational interviewing involves the use of conversation skills that promote change, in the service of the well-being of someone you are helping. Learning MI is a journey. The skills are used in everyday conversation, but are often underused and rusty. Steve can provide a range of training and support options.
Steve can also provide webinars on motivation, behaviour change and motivational interviewing that involve an overview and live demonstration of the skills involved.
Steve delivers training on-site in a wide range of settings, cultures and countries.
Enquiries can be made here.
Free resource for trainers in MI: The Art of Teaching MI
An old friend from San Francisco, Steve Berg-Smith, put decades of experience as a trainer into this handbook on the spirit and skills involved in working with groups of people to learn MI. There’s even a competency checklist for rating yourself and others in an appendix. Then he gave it away free, and you can download it here.
Motivational Interviewing Trainer Assessment (MITA)
The MITA checklist is available to download: MITI Checklist.pdf
Recommendation of other MI trainers
Coaching and supervision in motivational interviewing can also be arranged via close colleagues who offer these services.
To hear about new training opportunities, please let us know if you would like to be placed on our mailing list.